ORAL HYGIENE: 4 Steps for a Clean & Healthy Smile
Healthy Smiles For Life
You can keep your teeth clean and healthy right at home when Dr. Donald and Dr. Alissa Roman and the Roman Dental Arts team of Hygienists and Assistants teach you the steps for proper and effective oral hygiene.
We will educate you about how to brush and floss your teeth correctly so you may reduce your risk for cavities and gum disease.
While our team is dedicated to improving your oral health, it is essential that you continue taking care of your smile at home through consistent brushing and flossing. Good oral hygiene home care includes a number of daily habits and practices that help to keep your smile healthy and bright.
4 Steps to a Clean & Healthy Smile
1. Brush Your Teeth
1. Place the toothbrush at a 45o angle to the front tooth surface. Bristles must contact both lines of tooth and gums.
2. Move the brush in a small, jiggling, circular motion.
3. Clean the inside surfaces of the back teeth by moving the brush in a small back and forth motion.
4. Clean the inside surfaces of the front teeth by tilting the toothbrush vertically using small up and down strokes.
5. Clean the inside surfaces of the front lower teeth by tilting the toothbrush vertically using small up and down strokes.
6. Move the toothbrush in a back and forth motion to clean the biting surfaces.
- Brush your teeth after every meal or at least twice a day to maintain oral hygiene
- We encourage you to use a soft-bristled toothbrush and a toothpaste that includes fluoride, look for the ADA seal of approval
- If your teeth are sensitive to hot or cold, try a toothpaste for sensitive teeth
2. Floss Everyday
- Floss at least once every day
- The most important time to floss is just before you go to sleep at night
- If you have trouble flossing, our hygienists can show you the correct technique or suggest a cleaning tool that might be best for you
3. Eat A Balanced Diet
- Eat a healthy, balanced diet
- Drink plenty of water
- Limit your intake of very sugary and acidic foods can help to prevent tooth decay. Read the nutritional and ingredient labels and choose from the lowest sugar content
- Visit ChooseMyPlate.gov to learn more about healthy food choices
4. Get Regular Checkups
- Maintain your regular dental checkup visits with our office every three to six months. The time between checkups depends on factors like your stage of life or the level of oral health issues such as cavities, gum disease and/or pain.
- During these visits, we will provide professional teeth cleaning and a thorough dental exam to make certain we maintain your oral health and to identify any problems early.
Everyone is always friendly and courteous. I always have the most comfortable and thorough check-ups.
PROTECT YOUR FAMILY’S TEETH
Give us a call or schedule an appointment with our friendly team at Roman Dental Arts in Hackensack, NJ.
FIVE STAR DENTISTRY IN YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD
Roman Dental Arts in Hackensack, NJ is committed to providing exceptional state-of-the-art dentistry. Our patients appreciate the comfortable experience and modern technology they receive from our friendly and caring team.
While our patients travel from many locations, here are some of the communities within Bergen County we serve. New patients are always welcomed into our dental family.